Here are samples of my work and references from those I’ve worked with and for. I’ve also included recommendations for my tutoring services written by my (brilliant) students and their parents.
Writing and Title Samples and Reviews
- A Surprise Writer
- How to Make Your Child Smarter in 5 Minutes
- How to Have a Socratic Dialogue with an Elementary-Aged Student
- How to Teach Vocabulary for Keeps
- A Writing Lesson With No Writing
- The Top 3 Strategies for Building Your Child’s Comprehension Skills
- Context is Worth 80 IQ Points
Here are some of the article topics available: How to Help a Reluctant Writer, Changing the Goal for Reluctant Writers, Why the Number Four Will Change Your Home School, Learning by Writing, Alternative Ways to Teach Spelling, Creating a Lifetime Writer, Grammar: How Much is Enough?, A Smarter Way to Teach Spelling, 4 People Skills Every Child Needs, How to Make Your Child Smarter in 5 Minutes, Using the Socratic Method with Elementary Kids, Using the Socratic Method with High School Kids, Teaching So They Remember, Know Your Teaching Style & Know Their Learning Styles, Teach Less Better, How to Simplify and Maximize Learning, Realistic Time Management in the Home School, How to Teach Anything so They Remember, and much, much more.
Bible Study Topics
Words That Become Us (series), including:
- Emboldened from Within: Tharseo!
- More than a Ceasefire: the Shalom of God
- The Implications of Truth
- Receiving: The Word That Changes Us Every Day
- How being in Israel Changed Christmas
Tutoring Reviews by Students and Parents
“I cannot say enough good things about Mrs. Cathy Canen. My son began having reading problems at the end of 1st grade. I tried everything to help him learn to read but nothing worked, so we had Cathy tutor him. She thinks outside the box when she works with a student. He began making progress. It was an uphill battle, but he got it! She was so patient and kind to him – he absolutely loved her. Her methods are geared toward the student’s personal needs and personalities. Cathy is the reason my son learned to read – he says that to this day.” ~ Ginny